Grievance Procedures

CalArts supports a student’s right in filing a grievance when you believe you have been denied equal access in the form of appropriate accommodations, modifications, auxiliary aids or effective communication or suffered discriminatory harassment as described in the The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. The general grievance procedures apply to all students, and  can be found on the policies website

The following steps are encouraged if a student with a disability would like to address their concerns about an accommodations, or feel their rights have been violated under the ADA and 504.

  1. Students are highly encouraged to discuss their concerns with their Disability Services Specialist. The specialist will attempt to resolve the issues by assisting the student in discussing the issues with their faculty member, the nature of the reasonable accommodation, department or program.  In some instances, the Vice President of Student Experience or Provost or designee may be consulted in order to develop a resolution. Most situations are positively resolved throughout this process and mediation. 
  2. If the student or Disability Services Specialist feels that the resolution has not been reached, the student should notify the Disability Services Specialist immediately, and the specialist and the appropriate departments, depending on the nature of the claim, will evaluate the complaint and determine an appropriate resolution. 
  3. If the complaint is not resolved at the institute level, the student has the right to choose to file a complaint with the Federal Office for Civil Rights. This office will take complaints and will investigate when appropriate.  


  • Contact us by email (
  • Location: F201H
  • Summer Office Hours: Monday – Thursday: 9 am to 5 pm. 

PLEASE NOTE: Disability Services is not open for drop-in or in-person meetings but we will be meeting via Zoom.