What is Self-Service Proxy?
Self-Service Proxy is a solution that allows students to designate a third-party to access certain financial aid, billing, and certain academic information. This is in compliance with FERPA, and the Institute’s policy on access to student education records. The Institute is prohibited from providing certain information regarding student records to a third-party, such as information on grades, billing, tuition, and fee assessments, financial records (including scholarships, grants, work study, or loan amounts) and other student record information unless authorized by the student. Please note: Proxy cannot be used to gain access to any student's health related information as it is protected under HIPAA, not FERPA.
An authorized party, also known as a "proxy," can log in to CalArts Self-Service using their own email address and password to see their student’s financial aid, student account, and some academic records. The student determines the level of access they wish to grant their proxy access to.
Setup Instructions for Students
Use Self-Service Proxy to grant your parent or another person access to specific Self-Services sections you authorize. The person granted Self-Service Proxy can log in to Self-Service using their own email address and password and see only the sections you select. These sections can include student accounts, financial aid and grades. Follow the instructions below to get started.
- Log into sso.calarts.edu to access CalArts Self-Service for Students.
- After selecting Self-Service, students will be presented with a new screen (see below), where they will simply enter their username and will be automatically signed in.
- Access Proxy by clicking on their name and choosing “View/Add Proxy Access” from the menu options.
- On the Proxy Screen, the student will be presented with the proxy he/she has added as well as the option to add a proxy.
- Under “Select Proxy” a list of potential family/friends that can be a Proxy may already be listed. The list of proxies comes from the list of individuals previously reported on a FERPA waiver. The proxy must have an email address on file.
- To add a user not listed, students should click on “Add Another User”. The student will be presented with a list of fields to fill out. All required fields will be marked. Optional fields, though not required, will assist us in ensuring we match your proxy in our system.
- After the student clicks submit, they will need to supply their password for verification.
- The student will select the proxy and then indicate what they will be able to view/access. The student can give the person complete access or select access.
- Read the Disclosure Agreement, if you agree to terms, click the box beside it and click Save.
- Once the student clicks on save, the proxy will be sent two separate emails. The first email will give a username and the second email will have a temporary password.
- The student will get a notification that the person was added successfully. This access can be edited at any time by the student.
- The student can edit their Self-Service Proxy by going back to the Proxy menu, accessing their list of proxies, then clicking on the pencil icon to edit.
Setup Instructions for Designated Proxy (e.g., parent, guardian)
Once your student has designated you as a Proxy, the steps below will explain the initial setup of their Self-Service Proxy.
- After your student has granted you access as a Self-Service Proxy, you will receive two email notifications with specific instructions.
- The first email will provide a username.
- The second email will provide a temporary password.
CalArts Self-Service Proxy Assistance
Should you have any specific questions regarding Self-Service or Proxy Access at California Institute of the Arts please submit a ticket here or email CalArts Information Technology firstname.lastname@example.org.