Circumstances that May Not Be Considered
Below are circumstances that do not qualify for a Need-Based or Special Circumstances Appeal review.
- Request to match the financial aid award from another school
- Increased off campus rent expenses
- High consumer or business debt
- Parent attending college
- Request for assistance with a balance owed for a prior academic year
- Request for assistance with increase in tuition fees from prior year
- Devaluation of your home country's currency
- Request to exclude stepparent income on your FAFSA
- A school is not obligated to exercise professional judgment for a student because a professional judgment was conducted at another school
If your current circumstances do not qualify to be reviewed as a Need-Based or Special Circumstances Appeal there are still other options to consider and explore to help cover your balance and auxillary education-related expenses.
Cost of Attendance Appeals
CalArts establishes a Cost of Attendance (COA) each academic year, which includes the average amounts for standard educational expenses incurred by our students during the academic year. Students may experience unforeseen expenses during an academic year that are not accounted for in the typical estimated cost of attendance.
Students can request an increase in their COA for one of the following reasons:
- Purchase of computer - reciept documentation for purchase is required
- Technology needed for coursework - must supply documentation from professor that technology is specifically required for course, reciept documentation for purchase is required
- Childcare expenses - documented costs associated with care for a dependent child of the student
- Automobile expenses - documented costs associated with the operation and repair of a vehicle used for transportation to and from school, residence and place of work
- Housing costs - total reasonable rent costs above the estimated average listed in the off-campus COA can be considered, note housing adjustments have a maximum of $2,000 beyond published COA component
To request an appeal of your Cost of Attendance please contact the Office of Financial Aid, you will be instructed with what documentation will be required based on your appeal reason and how to submit documentation for your appeal.