Jump to Navigation

Federal Work-study

Federal Work-study is a federally student employment program. Federal Work-study funds are awarded to eligible undergraduate and graduate students who are U.S. citizens, eligible non-citizens or permanent residents. Eligibility for work is based on financial need and the amount will vary according to need, your program and year level. You can apply for this program by completing the FAFSA. Your eligibility for this work allocation can be renewed each year.

The pay scale is determined by the skills required for each job. You are required to keep an accurate time sheet and you and your supervisor must sign it. You must submit your time sheet bi-weekly for the hours you have worked during the two-week period, and you are paid biweekly on the Friday following the end of the pay period.

While work-study is an employment opportunity, it is considered to be part of the financial aid package. You are given a dollar amount that you may earn and income from your work-study may not exceed that amount. We urge you to estimate the number of hours per week you may work (maximum of 25) in order to use this eligibility over the entire academic year. If you are awarded a work-study allocation and you do not sign up for a job within the time specified, that portion of your financial aid package will be withdrawn.

Frequently Asked Questions:

When may I begin working?

You may begin to work once you have completed registration for each semester and have completed the job signup process listed above.

How much can I earn per hour?

Hourly wages are at least the federal minimum wages but may be higher depending on the position. Average wages on campus are $8.50-9.00 per hour. Work-study students are paid every other week. Paychecks can be picked up every other Friday at the Cashier's Office. Our payroll office offers automatic deposits to you bank account.

Is there a limit to the number of hours I can work?

When the Institute is in academic session, you may work no more than 8 hours a day and a maximum of 25 hours per week. International students may work up to 20 hours a week. During breaks, you may work no more than 8 hours a day and up to 40 hours per week. See the Payroll Calendar (pdf) for more info.

Are there any opportunities to work off-campus?

The Federal Work-study Program allows students to work in community-based services and Cal Arts has partnerships with service-oriented nonprofit organizations that are interested in hiring Cal Arts students. These jobs are posted at Off Campus Community Service Work-study Jobs.  More information can be obtained in the Work-study Office.


Last edited by rbaileychen on Jan 09, 2013
Close Menu
Open Menu