On Thursday, Oct. 21, 2021, CalArts particpates in California's Great ShakeOut earthquake drill. This drill will help the CalArts community practice evacuating all campus buildings and test our emergency preparedness system.
The drill will progress as follows:
- At 10:21 am the fire alarm system will be activated. This will be an indication of an earthquake.
- Drop to the ground.
- Take cover under a table or desk.
- Hold on to the table or desk as if a major earthquake were happening (stay down for at least 60 seconds). Practice now so you will immediately react and protect yourself during an actual earthquake.
- An emergency message** will be sent stating that this is a drill and asking all staff/faculty/students to evacuate the building and assemble at and around the soccer field and the basketball court. Due to the large number of participants, it is also important to social distance and wear masks during the drill.
- CalArts Campus Safety, Facilities Management, and IT staff will do a test of our internal systems (roughly, 20 minutes).
- All-clear will be sounded and everyone will be allowed to return to the building.
During the drill, if you are in an area where alarms are not working or systems seem inadequate; please report this condition to Campus Safety at 661.222.2702 or email Campus Safety at email@example.com.
Please use these links for additional information regarding the CalArts Emergency Plan, Safety Tips and the Great ShakeOut.
**A test emergency text, email, and message will be sent through the LiveSafe app system. If you have not signed up for the CalArts Campus Alert System, please add or update your information via campusalert.calarts.edu and download the LiveSafe app. (It takes up to two days to update the data with LiveSafe.)