Jump to Navigation


What is work-study?

Work-study is a student employment program for students with financial need. CalArts offers both Federal Work Study and institutional work-study. 

Federal Work Study (FWS) is part of a student's financial aid award package and a student must complete the financial aid application process each year in order to determine eligibility for FWS.  Work-study eligibility is awarded after grants, scholarships, loans and other financiaol aid.  Work-Study for international students is limited to on-campus employment.

To apply for work-study:

  • Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov by February 15. (http://calarts.edu/financial-aid)
  • Submit all required supporting documentation to the Office of Financial Aid by February 15. 

When may I begin working?

You may begin to work once you have completed registration for each semester and have completed the job signup process listed above.

How much can I earn per hour?

Hourly wages are at least the federal minimum wages but may be higher depending on the position. Average wages on campus are $8.50-9.00 per hour. Work-study students are paid every other week. Paychecks can be picked up every other Friday at the Cashier's Office. Our payroll office offers automatic deposits to you bank account.

Is there a limit to the number of hours I can work?

When the Institute is in academic session, you may work no more than 8 hours a day and a maximum of 25 hours per week. International students may work up to 20 hours a week. During breaks, you may work no more than 8 hours a day and up to 40 hours per week. See the Payroll Calendar (pdf) for more info.

Are there any opportunities to work off campus?

The Federal Work-study Program allows students to work in community-based services and Cal Arts has partnerships with service-oriented nonprofit organizations that are interested in hiring Cal Arts students. These jobs are posted at Off Campus Community Service Work-study Jobs.  More information can be obtained in the Work-study Office.


Last edited by rbaileychen on Nov 28, 2012
Close Menu
Open Menu