MFA Writing Program Visiting Artist Series: Sister Spit @ REDCAT
REDCAT: Sister Spit began in 1994 through the efforts of co-directors Sini Anderson and Michelle Tea. Sini and Michelle gathered together a group of some of the most notorious, talented, and just interesting women and dykes, and went on tour all over the U.S. All kinds of performers, on and off the page, launched themselves and sharpened skills and wits to a variety of audiences. These days, the Sister Spit roadshow occurs under the auspices of RADAR Productions, a San Francisco-based non-profit that produces literary happenings around the Bay Area and beyond. Founded in 2003 by writer Michelle Tea, RADAR conducts presenting, commissioning, publishing, professional development and touring programs that stimulate the production of queer and underground literature and heightens San Francisco’s reputation as a national literary center. RADAR gives voice to innovative queer and outsider writers and artists whose work authentically reflects the LGBTQA community’s diverse experiences.
The 2013 Sister Spit Tour includes:
- Genderqueer performance artist, writer and singer/songwriter Dave End
- Danny Levesque, a writer who has come through RADAR's writing retreat and has the novel he wrote there (his first!), Hairdresser on Fire, coming out on Manic D Fall 2012
- Ali Liebegott, whose new novel, Ch-Ching!, will be freshly out on Sister Spit Books - an imprint of City Lights! (We'll have our first Sister Spit anthology at this time, too)
- Australian visual artist Texta Queen, whose portraits — all done with Sharpies — are colorful, international profiles of wild outsider queers
- Cristy C Road, whose newest illustrated memoir will be out on The Feminist Press
- And your inimitable host, Michelle Tea!