Spring 2017 Class Signup Instructions
Course Catalog and Class Signup
Online class signup opens on December 20th, with start times staggered throughout the day. All students will receive a signup time via email. Once your signup time begins, log into CalArts Course Catalog to select the classes you want to add.
Classes will fill up quickly during online signup, so you should know what to sign up for before your assigned time. The spring schedule will be available online as of December 5. If you haven’t met with your mentor yet to talk about your plans for spring semester, that would be a good time to do so.
The Registrar’s Office also has many resources to help you plan your semester. We are available by phone (661.253.7842) or by email (email@example.com), or in person during regular business hours. We will also be holding academic advising events – keep an eye on your email for details on where to find us.
Online registration will be available to add or drop courses through February 3, 2017. Course withdrawals may be processed online through the withdrawal deadline on April 7, 2017, with the exception of students withdrawing from the institution. To withdraw from all classes, contact the Registrar’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Course Advising Day
For courses that are not available through online signup, and for general mentoring and discussion with faculty, students are invited to attend Course Advising Day. This is where you will have the opportunity to sign up for any courses listed as Permission of Instructor. Course Advising Day will be held on Thursday, January 5, 2017. Students are assigned a morning or afternoon time by last name.
- L-Z, 9 am-noon
- A-K, 1:30 pm-4:30 pm
For 2017, the Schools of Art, Critical Studies, Dance, and Music will delay the start of their spring courses for two weeks to accommodate Interim, Practicum, and Winter Session courses. The School of Art will offer Practicum over a two-week period (reduced from three weeks), and the School of Music will offer Interim courses over a two week period as in years past. Additionally, the School of Critical Studies and the School of Dance will offer both métier specific and Open to the Institute courses over a two-week period.
- Interim, Practicum and Winter Session courses will run January 9 through January 20.
- Spring semester courses offered by the Schools of Art, Critical Studies, Dance, and Music will begin January 23.
- Spring semester courses offered by the Schools of Film/Video and Theater will begin January 9.
Signup for Interim, Practicum and Winter Session courses will open at the same time as Spring online signup. To find these courses in the catalog, simply select “Winter Session” from the options listed under the “Spring 2017 Sections” menu (as in past years, Interim and Practicum will also remain as options). Students may add or drop Interim, Practicum and Wintersession courses through January 13, and may withdraw from these courses through January 20.
Important Dates for Class Signup
- December 5 – Spring schedule available on the Hub
- December 20 – Online class signup begins. Check your email for your specific signup
- January 5 – Course Advising Day
- January 9 – Spring courses begin for Schools of
Film/Video and Theater
- January 9 – Interim, Practicum, and Winter Session classes begin
- January 13 – Last day to add or drop Interim, Practicum,
and Winter Session classes
- January 20 – Last day to withdraw from Interim,
Practicum, and Winter Session classes (W grade on transcript)
- January 20 – Interim, Practicum, and Winter Session classes end
- January 23 – Spring courses begin for Schools of Art,
Critical Studies, Dance, and Music
- February 3 – Last day to add or drop Spring courses
- April 7 – Last day to withdraw from Spring classes (W grade on
- May 12 – Last day of class and Graduation
Online Class Signup Instructions
Build Your Preferred List of Courses
- Go to CalArts' Online Catalog: https://catalog.calarts.edu
- Sign in with your username (without the @alum.calarts.edu) and password (your CalArts credentials). If you are unable to sign in, go to http://cait.calarts.edu and click on How Do I: Reset my CalArts Credentials
- Once you are signed in, browse sections by clicking on the Browse Spring 2017 Sections menu. Remember to browse by the appropriate academic level (undergraduate or graduate).
Add courses of interest to your Preferred List. When you are done adding courses to your Preferred List, and are ready to finalize registration for your classes, please continue onto the next steps.
Register for Courses from Your Preferred List
- Begin the registration process by viewing your Preferred List
- Select “Register for Courses.” You will be taken from the Course Catalog to the Hub for registration, and may be prompted to sign in again].
- Review your courses using My Schedule.
If you are using a public computer, please log off from both the Hub and Catalog for security reasons.
Keep in mind you may have had courses already added to your schedule at the request of your school, so be sure to check this before you get too far along in planning for the semester. There will also be a number of courses marked as “Permission of Instructor.” In order to sign up for these, you will first need to get approval from the faculty, which you can do at Course Advising Day.
Resources to help create your Spring schedule
If you have trouble using or remembering your CalArts credentials (username or password) to log into the new system(s), contact CalArts IT at cait.calarts.edu
If you’re logged in, but are having trouble navigating the site, check out these instructions.
- Guide to the course numbering system
- If you try adding a course, but get a restriction that you don’t think is correct, here is information about registration overrides.
- If you’re not quite sure what classes you need to graduate, here are some links that will help:
For information about your Critical Studies requirements, check your degree audit through the Hub. Here is a guide to running your degree audit through the Hub.
To see a list of all the courses you've taken at CalArts, view your unofficial transcript on the Hub.
For questions about BFA Critical Studies or transfer credit, please contact:
For information about your métier ("program") requirements, start by reviewing the year-by-year requirements in the catalog:
If you have questions about métier requirements, please contact your mentor. If you don’t know who your mentor is, contact your school:
Contact the Registrar's Office directly for help with general questions, or if you need additional guidance on where to go for answers to more specific questions. We're here to help! You can reach the Registrar's Office by email at email@example.com, or by phone at 661.253.7842.